Hale Centre Theatre Milestones
On December 9, the crown jewel of our Cairns City Center, Hale Centre Theatre, marked an important construction milestone with the conclusion of major concrete and steel work for its 130,000 square feet, two-theater complex. The celebratory event included a unique “Topping Out” ceremony, as well as exciting announcements:
Topping Out Ceremony
This long-held construction tradition recognizes safety, teamwork and quality with the raising of the last steel beam adorned with a flag and an evergreen tree. Prior to raising, the beam was signed by construction workers, city employees, Hale Centre Theatre board members and staff, Sandy officials and dignitaries.
Thanking the Workers
More than 200 workers were thanked with a luncheon and some deserved downtime following their tremendous work done on this impressive large-scale project:
- 72,000 cubic yards of dirt were removed;
- 1,800 tons of structural steel and 1,700 tons of reinforcing steel were used;
- 9,200 cubic yards of concrete were placed;
- 110 miles of electrical and sound wire were uncoiled.
Naming Rights Announced
A proven community partner, Mountain America Credit Union announced themselves as the naming rights sponsor with the unveiling of a rendering with the new theatre name, “Mountain America Performing Arts Centre”
Theatre Opening Dates Confirmed
Mark and Sally Dietlein of Hale Centre Theatre were pleased to announce the project is on time for its opening dates.
- The smaller 460-seat jewel box theater will open in September 2017 with the production of “Forever Plaid”
- The 900-seat theater-in-the-round will opening in November 2017 with “Aida”