Poison Safety Facts
As you begin spring cleaning and yard work, it’s important to keep your family safe from possible poison exposure and consumption. Poisonings are more common than most realize, causing over 35,000 deaths each year. Here are some simple tips to keep your family safe:
- Poison is often mistaken for food. Keep poisons in their original containers – do not use food containers (cups, bottles, recycled containers, etc ) to store cleaners and strong chemicals – and store them far from food to avoid any confusion.
- ALWAYS follow the directions before use. Never mix chemicals, even with common and “less threatening” cleaners, as mixture can create poisonous gas and byproduct.
- Poisoning can occur through inhalation of gas. NEVER sniff container to see what’s inside – if you don’t know, don’t use it and dispose of it properly! Also make sure to turn on fans and open windows when using strong chemicals.
- During your spring cleaning, check the dates on cleaners & chemicals. Discard any that are old or outdated and start fresh.
- Make sure to protect your skin! Strong chemicals can burn the skin, including drain openers, toilet cleaners, rust removers and oven cleaners. Wearing long rubber gloves and protective clothing is recommended.
- In addition to indoor cleaners, poisoning is a risk when working and playing outside. Pesticides can be taken in through the skin or inhaled and clothing may not offer the protection you need. Stay away from areas that have been sprayed for at least one hour, or until the spray has dried.
- If pesticides make skin contact, rinse with running water for 15-20 minutes. Remove any clothing with pesticide contact before rinsing skin.
- Keep other garden chemicals clearly labeled and out of the reach of children and pets.
- Do not eat mushrooms that grow in yards and parks – these poisonous “death caps” can cause deadly liver damage with only a few small bites.