Day Hiking Tips
Post Date:03/29/2017 9:00 AM
Return to full list >>
While you are out enjoying the warmer weather, check out the following tips from our Parks & Rec Department for a safer day hike:
- Check weather conditions before you leave.
- Weather is unpredictable, be prepared for rain and cold.
- Wear hiking shoes. If you do not have hiking shoes, wear shoes that are sturdy & comfortable.
- Recommended items to take: flashlight, whistle, matches, sunscreen, first-aid-kit, extra clothing, & mosquito repellent
- Leave your itinerary with someone you trust and check in with them upon your return.
- Always carry plenty of water. Three quarts per person is a good amount.
- Carry more food than you think you will need.
- Start slowly to avoid excess fatigue part way through your hike.
- When you choose a hike, consider the ability levels of all members of your group.
- Hike only as fast as the slowest member of your group.
- Carry out whatever you pack in. Pack a plastic bag to assist with this.
- Avoid playing around fast running streams. They can be very dangerous.