The Secret Sauce of Sandy
Sandy City has the well-earned reputation of being one of the best-run cities in Utah. Cities across the state regularly seek out our advice, trying to understand our “winning” formula and replicate our success.
- Keeping taxes the lowest of the 14 largest cities;
- Maintaining high service levels with 90% of our residents reporting Sandy is a “good place to live”;
- Earning fiscal responsibility awards for nearly three decades;
- Generating sales tax revenue by attracting a strong economic development base and creating high paying jobs locally;
- Lowest violent crime rates for cities our size
WHAT IS OUR SECRET?
- We keep taxes low through fiscal discipline and with the mayor and city council focusing on smart growth, economic development and attracting businesses.
- Unlike other organizations who experience the dysfunction of frequent turnover, the stability of a well-functioning city council and mayor enable us to focus on residents, not politics;
- In our form of government, it is imperative the mayor effectively advocate for Sandy’s residents and interests, including prioritizing our transportation projects, securing revenue for pressing needs and devoting countless hours on boards and commissions to make our voice heard;
- Dedicated employees who care about serving our residents and take pride in their performance.
- Lastly and most importantly, engaged residents donated an astonishing 64,000 volunteer hours of service in 2016 for a cost savings of more than $700,000.
Henry Ford said of teamwork:
"Coming together is a beginning; Staying together is progress; Working together is success."
Sandy succeeds as a city because we work together toward a shared vision. We thank our residents for being a vital ingredient in our Secret Sauce of Success.