Make a Resolution to Join Healthy Sandy
The new year brings the opportunity to make resolutions to improve our lives, with many of us trying to achieve fitness and weight loss goals. I can think of no better time to highlight one of our longest running and most successful programs, Healthy Sandy.
Started in 1995, the mission of the Healthy Sandy Partnership is to serve as a catalyst for good health, safety, and wellness among those who live and work within the Sandy community.
This organization would not have lasted as long as it has or be as successful as it is were it not for our volunteers, both individuals and health organizations. We appreciate the dedication of the Salt Lake Health Department, Alta View Hospital and the Canyons School District. And, I would be remiss if I didn’t express my gratitude for the Healthy Sandy Chair, Gordon Johnson.
Having served at the helm for more than 20 years, Gordon has decided to step down, despite our objections. He has been an invaluable advocate for health promotion in Sandy. At 81 years of age and in excellent health, he is also a prime example of someone who practices what he preaches.
In honor of Gordon’s service, I’ll share his principles for longevity:
- Eat 3 healthy meals a day, including breakfast
- Eat an abundance of fruits and vegetables
- Make water your drink of choice
- Limit sugary treats and unhealthy snacks
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Exercise for at least 30 mins/day, 5 days/week
- Get 7-8 hours of sleep, 10-12 hours for children
- Wash hands frequently
- Get immunizations and regular medical/dental check-ups
- Wear sun protection, seatbelts and appropriate safety gear
- Limit screen time
- Abstain from tobacco products, other drugs and pornography
We hope to see you at our upcoming events and wish you a Happy and Healthy New Year!