Short-term Rental Quick Tips
Often advertised on sites such as Air BNB, VRBO, and even KSL, short-term rentals have become popular alternatives to conventional hotels in hot vacation sites. Sandy is no exception, with its abundance of year-round recreational opportunities. On Aug. 21, 2018, the City Council adopted two new ordinances, establishing regulations regarding the operation and licensing of Short Term Rentals (STRs). Some of the rules included in these ordinances are:
- The number of STRs is limited to one STR per 100 single-family homes within each of Sandy’s 30 geographical communities.
- An STR must be located within the homeowner’s primary residence (owner must reside there a minimum of 183 nights per year).
- Rentals are limited to 182 nights per year.
- Limited to one lease contract and eight or fewer guests at a time
- Off-street parking must be provided for all guests.
- Operators must obtain a Special Use Permit and Business License from the City.
For additional information or inquiries, please call the Sandy City Planning Division at 801-568-7256.